Reginald A. Ray - Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet
Type: Digital download
Format: [1 eBook - 1 Epub]
File size: 5.32 MB
An entrée into the world of Tantric Buddhism—a unique collection of texts, concepts, and meditation practices presented by Tibetan masters teaching in the West
The “Vajra World” (vajradhatu in Sanskrit) is a realm of indestructibility, the level of reality beyond all thought and imagination, all impermanence and change, which a fully realized person knows and inhabits. Used metaphorically, “Vajra World” refers to the traditional culture of Tibet and the unique spirituality that is its secret strength.
Secret of the Vajra World is the companion volume to the author’s earlier book, Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism. While that book focuses on the history, cosmology, philosophy, and practice of the more public, exoteric side of Tibetan Buddhism, this work treats its more hidden and esoteric aspects as they take shape in Vajrayana. Together, the two volumes provide a broad introduction to the major traditions of Tibetan Buddhism.
• The tantric view of human nature and the external world
• The special role of the guru, or tantric mentor
• The preliminary practices that prepare the student for full initiation
• The major dimensions of Vajrayana practice, including visualizations, liturgies, and inner yogas
• The tradition of the tulku, or incarnate lama
• The lore surrounding the death of ordinary people and of saints
• The practice of solitary retreat, the epitome of traditional Tibetan Buddhism